Monday, May 26, 2014

Goodbye Rabat - Hello Fes

This morning we toured the capital of Morocco - Rabat.  Our first stop was the Royal Palace complex.  It's an enormous complex not far from where our hotel was located in LaVille Nouvelle (new portion of Rabat built by the French during their occupation (1912-1956).  We were only to get as close as the gate to the palace.












 Everything in Rabat is so landscaped and so clean.  we left from the palace grounds and headed to the ancient Roman Mauretania, Tingitana and medieval ruins of Chellah at the outskirts of Rabat.   
 





Following the visit to Chellah, we visited the Hassan Tower and the mausoleum of Mohammed V (along with his two sons Hassan II [father of present King Mohammed VI] and Prince Abdallah).  I also walked to them yesterday to get a feel for the city. 
 

 
Finally we walked through the Kasbah des Ouidayas with its white and cobalt blue painted exteriors and stopped for a glass of mint tea (Morocco's favorite beverage). 
 

 
 
 
 
 
We then left Rabat heading to the medieval city of Fes, stopping at the Roman ruins of Volubilis
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
and stopping to take photographs of the holy city of Moulay Idriss.  
 
 
I'm so angry at myself - usually far more organized - didn't occur to me to see about the iPad adapter for uploading photos.  Silly me.  Excuse the photos I had to take them with the iPad from the camera display.  No, really, I have traveled before.  


Tomorrow - hopefully - I part with lots of funds!!!


1 comment:

  1. Looks like you are off to a great start. Soak it all up! I look forward to seeing more posts. Sabrena Blay

    ReplyDelete